Tuesday, January 30, 2007

B is for la Boheme


I sat reading the local paper The Florentine this morning - which amongst other things contains informative articles covering the fact that the size of Dantes nose is being reduced. You may laugh but apparently there is a contingent of locals who are up in arms about the fact that his once classically aquiline profile is to become somewhat less godly.

I discovered that it was the last night of la Boheme at the theatre last night - my favourite opera. Although I did wonder whether, given the fact that I still feel a little emotionally wobbly after Dolores has been such a bossy boots lately, it was a good idea to go and watch several hours of heartrending story culminating with the death of Mimi from TB in her lovers arms. Still, aren't you supposed to suffer for art?

Unfortunately, I called for tickets (feeling sufficiently smug that I both managed to make myself understood AND understood the answer) but not surprisingly the performance had sold out.

I decided instead to have a wander around the city on a Saturday night, with plans to sit and watch the world go by as the Florentines perform their famous passagiato. However, it was so cold that within the space of 15 minutes my tiny hands were frozen. Poor old Mimi, I know exactly how she felt. Still, at least I got to experience the opera on one level.

Katy



No comments: